Introducing – Find the one
Maybe you are already an raspberry pi user, maybe not. We made an comparison between the display for raspberry pi. To make it clear, We make a simple sheet representing the features and specs.
The simplest way to get started with Raspberry Pi is display. Power and boot the Rpi, wait until the main screen! I will never forget the first time playing RPi.
But there’s a dozen of display out there, see the list below:Yes, quite a lot of them. But there is one happy thing: most of them share the same pinout/interface for RPi, no matter what model your RPi is, B or B+, it always works. For a better choice for you, you’d better understanding the follow definition.
|Name||LCD Type||Size||Interface||Touch Screen||Colors||Resolution||Ratio||Price|
|2.8″ USB TFT Display Module For Raspberry Pi||TFT||2.8 inch||SPI||Y||65K||320×240||4:3||45.5|
|3.2 Inch TFT LCD Screen for Raspberry Pi||TFT||3.2 inch||SPI||Y||65K||320×240||4:3||34.95|
|Raspberry Pi 3.2″ Touchscreen Display w/ 8 extension header||TFT||3.2 inch||SPI||Y||65K||320×240||4:3||29.95|
|3.5″ Primary Display for Raspberry Pi||TFT||3.5 inch||SPI||Y||65K||480×320||3:2||69|
|4.3″ Raspberry Pi Display Module||TFT||4.3 inch||Serial Port||Y||65K||480 x 272||N/A||99|
|7” Diagonal – 1280×800 IPS HDMI/VGA/NTSC/PAL Display||IPS||7 inch||HDMI/VGA/NTSC/PAL||N||N/A||1280×800||16:10||129|
|10.1”LCD Display – 1366×768 HDMI/VGA/NTSC/PAL||TFT||10.1 inch||HDMI/VGA/NTSC/PAL||N||262K||1366×768||16:9||89|
What is TFT/IPS?
- TFT stands for Thin Film Transistor. The Thin film transistor liquid crystal display (TFT LCD) technology is the most common display technology used in mobile phones.
- IPS LCD Stands for In Plane Switching liquid Crystal Display. This technology offers better display quality as compared to the TFT-LCD display. The good part about IPS LCD is that it offers better viewing angles and consumes less power. Due to higher costs, it is found only on high-end smartphones.
What is HDMI/VGA/NTSC/PAL
- For some small size display, none of them is used. USB in hardware and SPI in software is much cheaper choice.
- VGA: Analog signal. Limited by bandwidth which prevents higher resolutions.
- HDMI: Digital signal. Can carry audio and video data.
- NTSC is the video system or standard used in North America and most of South America.
- PAL is the predominant video system or standard mostly used overseas.
Notice for Model B+
The extra pinout will be covered if you use a Model B Compatible display, Raspberry Pi 3.2″ Touchscreen Display w/ 8 extend headers is designed for Model B+ specially, the pinout will be extend to the side of RPi: