The Raspberry Pi Compute Module has seen utilized in the industrial area as its form factor, and its ability to easily replace and update the hardware design on the carrier board. The New Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 and Compute Module 4 IO Board just released on Oct.19th by Raspberry Pi Foundation.
Seeed customization service based on Compute Module 4
As an Approved Reseller of Raspberry Pi, Seeed are going a step further by sponsoring industrial designers and makers alike in developing with the Raspberry Compute Module. We provide customization service based on Compute Module 4 to meet specific product designs such as custom carrier boards. Please check the blog POWER-UP PCBA: Free Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 Carrier Boards with Seeed Fusion PCB Assembly Service for more information.
Seeed’s ODM services are also ready to customize electronics and firmware to meet your specific solution’s needs. The above picture is the carrier board customization example we are designing and will release in the future.
New Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 (CM4)
Compute Module 4 (CM4) will bring the power of Raspberry Pi 4 to the popular Compute Module family.
Compute Module 4 has optional onboard eMMC of 8GB, 16GB or 32GB, starting from $25. The Raspberry Pi Computing Module 4 utilizes the computing power of the popular Raspberry Pi 4 Model B to make it smaller in shape and suitable for integration into products. Same price from $25, New form factor, more interfaces(Gigabit Ethernet, PCIe), more density options, and optional wireless connectivity.
This newest version Compute Module 4 is built around the Broadcom BCM2711 processor, which is the same processor used for the Raspberry Pi 4. There is dual HDMI, PCIe, Onboard Gigabit Ethernet, and eMMC that comes with the new board.
- Raspberry Pi 4 SoC: Broadcom BCM2711 quad-core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
- Memory – 1, 2, 4, or 8GB LPDDR4-3200 SDRAM
- Storage – CM4: 4, 8, 16, or 32GB eMMC flash up to 100MB/s;
- Connectivity incluing:
- Optional wireless LAN, 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz IEEE 802.11b/g/n/ac wireless, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE with onboard and external antenna options
- Onboard Gigabit Ethernet PHY supporting IEEE1588 • 1 × USB 2.0 interface
- PCIe Gen 2 x1 interface
- 28 GPIO signals
- Dual-display support at resolutions up to 4K, video decode at up to 4Kp60,
- Multimedia supports H.265 (4Kp60 decode); H.264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode); OpenGL ES 3.0 graphics
- SD card interface for SD card or external eMMC (for use only with Compute Module 4 variants without eMMC)
Optional dual-band 2.4/5.0GHz wireless LAN and Bluetooth 5.0 are with modular compliance certification, which allows the board can be designed as a final product. This allows the board to be designed as a final product, greatly reducing compliance testing, increasing cost, and time to market. Either the onboard antenna or external antenna kit can be used.
Compute Module 4 IO Board designed for prototyping and directly in use
The Compute Module 4 IO Board is a companion board for Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4, provides an excellent way to prototype systems using the Compute Module 4. It can be also used as an embedded board integrated into end products.
What is on the board?
- Standard Raspberry Pi HAT connectors with PoE support
- Standard PCIe Gen 2 x1 socket
- Real-time clock (RTC) with battery backup
- Dual HDMI connectors, MIPI camera connectors and dual MIPI display connectors.
- Gigabit Ethernet socket supporting PoE HAT
- On-board USB 2.0 hub with 2 USB 2.0 connectors
- Connection points to hardware-disable the wireless interface
- SD card socket for Compute Module 4 variants without eMMC
- Support for programming eMMC variants of Compute Module 4
- PWM fan controller with tachometer feedback
Real-time clock (RTC), On-board USB 2.0 hub, Connection points to hardware-disabled the wireless interface, and PWM fan controller are extra features added on the IO board for CM4.
The IO board is designed to allow you to create systems by quickly using ready-made parts such as HATs and PCIe cards, which may also include NVMe, SATA, network, or USB. The most used connectors are located on one the same side, making the case design simpler and easier to use.
Hardware design of Compute Module 4 IO Board
Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 Antenna Kit
CM4 offers optional wireless LAN, 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz IEEE 802.11b/g/n/ac wireless, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE with onboard and external antenna options.
This new Antenna Kit is certified for use with the Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 only. If a different antenna is used, then separate certification will be required.
Customization service based on Compute Module 4
Please get in touch with us at [email protected] with your project details. We welcome all projects applications. We have two offerings for:
- Businesses developing products that use the Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4.
- Open source Raspberry Pi Compute Module carrier board designs.
As you can see in the picture, we developed the carrier board with Dual CSI port, M.2 connector, USB Type C, OTG and Barrel power jack. More features are still under planning, please feel free to let us know what else do you want for the new CM4 carrier board on the forum, we will produce via our Fusion service and ODM service.