DSO firmware version 3.64

--DSO201

Moderator: tormod

DSO firmware version 3.64

by BenF » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:45 pm

This update adds the capability to import previously saved XML files back into the Nano sampling buffer. Configuration will be changed in accordance with the XML profile section to reflect the active settings at the time of export, measurements will be recalculated and we can use the zoom and pan capabilities to review the full waveform.

The static reference waveform is history. Building on the XML import capability we can now load and use previously saved XML files as a reference channel on the Nano. The reference waveform will dynamically adapt to reflect configuration changes and so can more easily be matched against live waveforms.

A new buffer priority mode has been added where a ten times increase in sampling rate is achieved although at the expense of reduced sampling depth. I envision the added feature will be used to reduce cycle time between measurement updates, but also aid with detecting high frequency components on lower frequency waveforms.

The full list of changes can be seen in the enclosed revisions file and the user’s guide has been updated with details on how to use the new features.

Thanks to the active forum users for seeding ideas and offering constructive feedback - Enjoy!

Update 2011.02.26 APP V3.61
- Invert duty cycle when using falling edge trigger
- Add separate controls for buffer priority mode and fast/normal sampling speed
- Adjust trigger position subject to buffer priority
- Fix issue with FIT when in fast sampling mode
- Add option to reset to factory defaults
- Updated firmware users guide

Update 2011.05.19 APP V3.62
- Add choice of average (default) and peak acquisition modes to menu OT
- Move options for buffer priority and sampling speed to menu OT
- Add automatic ground level positioning for FIT mode
- Add option to vertically offset reference from main waveform
- Adjusted factory defaults (zero sensitivity, symmetrical V1/V2 cursors)
- Redraw cursors and markers when changing profile
- Fix issue with not refreshing reference waveform when in FIT mode

Update 2012.01.01 APP V3.64, LIB 3.53
- Add Support for SDHC cards
Attachments
DSO BenF Firmware v3.64.zip
(402.26 KiB) Downloaded 15270 times
Last edited by BenF on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Elementary-2
Elementary-2

Re: DSO firmware version 3.6

by tobey » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi BenF,

thanks for the new version!

I dont want to nag, but with the new feature of fastbuffer there are parts of the signal that cant be seen. If i press hold, i count 16,5 Diversions but the Screen displays only 12. Is this fixable?

Another thing: Wouldnt it be easier to just enable SCAN for all Timesettings? Would it also save memory comparing to the use of the fastbuffer function?

Cheers
Toby
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Re: DSO firmware version 3.6 [Cal comment]

by weenerdog » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:46 pm

Good stuff!

One minor thing for the manual that threw me (hopefully not just being 'dense'; the issue probably applies to previous versions, too): to Save Cal, hold the "OK" button down. I figured left/right would toggle it, and I recall the manual saying that holding the OK was the same as the B button, which resets to factory defaults... You could also mention that it will give positive feedback "Save OK".

Thanks again!
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

by lygra » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:53 am

Thank you, thank you very much. I think you have finally done it, now the Nano can do about anything that a typical informed user could reasonably expect. You didn't mention the displayed pulse width measurement feature in the post, which should be very useful to forum members like brandonb. Job well done!
Elementary-3
Elementary-3

by lygra » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:41 am

After having flexed this new firmware muscle, I must say I am very happy with these improvements. The User Guide didn't specify so I tested to see if the "Pri Fast" used "Pri Equal" or "Pri Post". I found that "Pri Fast" uses "Pri Equal".

Maybe you cold take this one step further and offer "FastEqu" and "FastPost" in your next update. Even without this addition, the software is simply amazing!

I am a little confused about the new sampleDIV entry in the XML file. Other entries indicate some unit per DIV such as time, voltage, etc. This sampleDIV entry appears to be the reciprocal of the samples per division (200us as an example). Was this an oversight and it should be samples per DIV (5000 as an example)? Or is there some other use that I haven't considered?

Thanks again BenF for all your excellent programming accomplishments with the Nano.
Elementary-3
Elementary-3

by BenF » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:18 am

tobey wrote:I dont want to nag, but with the new feature of fastbuffer there are parts of the signal that cant be seen. If i press hold, i count 16,5 Diversions but the Screen displays only 12.

Check out the paragraph in the guide called “Panning the full sampling buffer” for info on how to view the full buffer. This applies to all buffer priority modes.

lygra wrote:
Maybe you cold take this one step further and offer "FastEqu" and "FastPost" in your next update. Even without this addition, the software is simply amazing!

When using the standard modes (Post and Equal) we collect the equivalent of 13+ screens of data whereas in Fast mode we only collect the equivalent of 1.3+ screens. As such the distinction between Post and Equal is much less significant and the objective is to avoid leaving empty areas left and/or right on the display.

lygra wrote:
I am a little confused about the new sampleDIV entry in the XML file.

The sampleDiv entry is used by the XML import utility to distinguish between fast and standard buffer modes. timeDiv is as in previous versions the T/Div we select on the Nano (used for display scaling) whereas sampleDiv is the actual sampling rate used during acquisitions. They will be different when Fast mode is used, but have the same value for Post and Equal modes. If you import XML files from previous versions, equality is assumed so that backwards compatibility is assured.
Elementary-2
Elementary-2

by tobey » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:02 pm

BenF wrote:
tobey wrote:I dont want to nag, but with the new feature of fastbuffer there are parts of the signal that cant be seen. If i press hold, i count 16,5 Diversions but the Screen displays only 12.

Check out the paragraph in the guide called “Panning the full sampling buffer” for info on how to view the full buffer. This applies to all buffer priority modes.

Well unfortunately i cant pan the buffer in somewhat of milliseconds. If i cannot see everything on the screen, then this feature is actually useless for me. If i had to use panning i would not choose fast buffer at all.

Cheers
Toby
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

by brandonb » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:19 pm

ohh my gosh ben you are the man- i cant thank you enough for what you did with the 3.6 software, amazing, the update rate on fast buffer<ohh yea the pulsewidth measurement for both positive and negative, the thing about that is so great is that the resolution on the pulsewidth is perfect and the accuracy is right on and its very fast to update....gotta say it again--> your the man!!!
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

by tobey » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:07 pm

Hi,

when i set 1v/div; 10s/div; vert -6 and gpos 70 i get the wrong voltage. I put on 12v but it shows somehwat of 4.5v :(

Is it a bug or a feature? :D

Is there a chance to get 25s/Div in the next version, this would equal 1pixel per second.
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

by BenF » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:26 pm

tobey wrote:Is it a bug or a feature?

I would say neither.

You can read the paragraph on "Voltage Range and Sensitivity" for an explanation.
Elementary-2
Elementary-2

Next