DSO203 GCC APP - Community Edition (2.51+SmTech1.8+Fixes)

Thank you very much, Wildcat. You are the reason why I purchased the DSO quad. I saw that there was someone -YOU- providing updates and support for the DSO203 and I also saw that your firmware works with the 2.83 hardware so I bought it.

I received my DSO203 today. It is v2.83 and has a metal alloy case. Great price at 142 US dollars! :smiley: It also came with a hard carry case!

Anyway, I downloaded Wildcat’s zip above - v4.3 and have copied the app1.hex file and I now seem to have his firmware on the Quad, but I’m not sure.

– Is that all I had to do? Copy the app1.hex file? What are all those other files in the zip? The bios files? The calibrat files? The function files, etc? There are a lot of files and I don’t know what I am supposed to do with them.

Also, I reformatted the 8mb drive using Windows. I used the default “FAT” and 4096 option.

Thanks again, Wildcat!

You only need to copy the app1.hex file to the device after powering it up while connected to a computer

and holding the first button down. The screen on the device should show a message prompting you

to copy a hex or bin file. On normal restart the startup screen should then show the version of the program.

The only other thing you may want to do, if you want to save multiple configurations is make 9 copies

of the WPT file on the device and rename them. This WPT file will be created after you save the first config.

I would suggest reading the included user guide PDF file for more info.

The other files included in the archive are source code files, you do not need to do anything with them.

I was not aware of a HW V2.83 Perhaps you mean V2.81? Does your device actually show Hardware V2.83

on startup?

Thank you for the reply!

You are correct. It’s 2.81, not 2.83. I need to be more careful.

I am going over your user manual and tinkering with the Quad. There is a lot to cover but I believe I am starting to get the hang of it.

However, I did as you said and now have a total of 10 WPT files. However, when I go to save a configuration in any slot other than “000” I get an “ERR” instead of the “OK”.

The files were simply named “001.WPT” etctera up to “009.WPT.”

The files need to be renamed CONF001.CFG though CONF009.CFG. This is explained

in the user guide under FILE FUNCTIONS > SAVING MULTIPLE CONFIG FILES.

It’s a bit of trouble to have to do this but the requirement has been kept to allow

compatibility with earlier devices when used without Alterbios.

That fixed it. Can’t thank you enough, Wildcat. Your firmware is terrific. So many nice enhancements, fixes, and features many of which I have not yet learned to use .

Is there a shortcut for loading configurations? For my work, loading configs would be more useful than saving them.

The default for the file menu after booting up is config > load with the cursor on the file #. The file menu is at the

right foremost position so all you have to do to load a config is to hold the right toggle to the right and it will stop

at the file menu, with “load” “000” and “CFG” already showing and the cursor on the “000”. Use the left toggle to

select which config you want, then either press the left toggle center button to load the configuration, and keep the

menu on config file select (allows you to quickly select another config by changing the #) or press button 3 (file save

select/save button) to load and return the menu selection (blinking cursor) to the position it was at when saving

the configuration.

Keep in mind that after changing file load/save, file #, and/or file type, the menu will stay in that position when

coming back to it until changed or the device rebooted.

Hi!

I was given a DSO203 (HW2.6) with Wildcat 3. I upgraded it with the last released files mentioned on the last page of wildcat manual and upgraded also WildCat4.3 itself. But I can’t get the help blue menu anymore with long press.

Sorry if I missed it in the manual, but is there an INVERT function anywhere in the Wildcat firmware?

I am seeing a signal from a capacitive pickup that I got yesterday in the mail, and seems like the signal is upside down. I tried clamping in a different direction, but signal still appears to be upside down. It may also be mirror image. Not sure yet.

Thank you very much! Good job! I was waiting a long time for such a feature. But I have some questions to that function and a small improvement request. I still using a DSO201 with BenF-Fw to see live-Peaks in many situations. In BenF firmware there are those two options:

[list]

• Use sub option “Smpl Speed” to switch between normal and fast sampling mode. In fast

sampling mode, sampling rate (Sa/s) is increased at the expense of reduced sampling depth.

This mode will improve resolution and accuracy for time related measurements (frequency,

duty cycle and pulse width) of lower frequency signals.

Use sub option “Disp Mode” to switch between average and peak display

mode. This mode determines how the input waveform amplitude will be displayed for

oversampled signals.

Peak mode will identify the minimum and maximum values in your input signal and use these

when displaying the waveform. This can be useful when looking for higher frequency

components (such as noise or narrow pulses) present in your input signal. Noise will appear

more dominant in this mode.

• [/list]

What is the sample rate in your chart mode (or isn’t it oversampled at all)? Is it useful to see short peak-nails? If so, is an average value displayed or the peak value? (BTW: I know that I can also use Single-Shot to find peaks, but I want to see the processing before)

My small improvement request:

When using the full buffer and the cursor arrives the right screen, can you implement an auto screen scrolling, so I can see always the live-value on the right? And maybe (I think this is not possible?) a ring buffer would be a great thing.

Thank you very much for the hard work. And I really appreciate your good documented manual!

Addition: One small issue. I was using Wildcat3.3 and the gabonator app (in Slot4) simultaneous. With installing Wildcat4.3 the gabonator app got broken. I suppose that wildcat and gabonator app are using the same undocumented memory. That’s a pity :frowning:

Isn’t it possible to put a part of the huge code as an image-file to the 2MB (or 8MB on newer devices) data-memory, so just 1 slot per app is needed?

No, there isn’t, other than feeding the signal to ChB and monitoring the inverted version on

ChD in “A-B” mode, but this is awkward, and is not a true invert mode as triggering and all other

functions are controlling the non inverted version on ChB.

It certainly would be reasonable to expect this as part of proper controls for a scope. Just finished

a new version (added oversampling and averaging buffer functions as well as other updates), will

see if I can add an invert mode before posting it.

YAY!

I will try the A-B for now, but eagerly await the invert to the update.

With the invert your firmware pretty much becomes the end-all be-all, which is to the say the Ultimate and Best.

I now have 2 accessories for my probe – capactive pickup and an amp probe. Both of them give me an inverted signal.

Thanks.

The chart mode is not oversampled or averaged, just a sample taken at each interval.

I just finished implementing oversampling and averaging buffer functions in a new update and will be posting

it shortly. Unfortunately, these only work in triggered modes, so the chart will not benefit from this. But it will

work down to 1 sec/div in triggered single window buffer mode.

The biggest obstacle working with oversampling is the “set” FPGA code, which I have no way of changing.

Ideally, you would like to have access to an unrestricted stream of data from the DAC, so you could raise the

sampling rate to as high as can be processed by the program. The FPGA helps at speeds higher than can be

handled by storing data in it’s buffer, but there is no way I know of to continuously stream data other than

going through the buffer, and this is triggered, meaning that after 4096 samples, it starts over again causing

a discontinuity or “splice” in the data stream. As a result of this, oversampling modes are restricted to these

4096 samples, which can be displayed in a single window at 8x oversampling (window buffer is set to 512

samples for compatibility with the FFT function). Furthermore, controlling this necessitates the use of a

triggered mode (referring to the program), otherwise the “splice” will occur at random places in the waveform.

It could be possible to implement the single window chart mode with oversampling, but again limited to 8x,

and only in single window mode, which, for faster timebases is quite useful, as in averaging provides a very

clean waveform, in oversampling greatly improves the ability to display high frequency signals above the

sampling rate, reduces sampling aliasing artifacts with both waveforms and FFT, and in both cases virtually

eliminates sampling “jitter”. With a slow chart mode, however I question the worth of, for example adding

an extra 8 samples within a time period of 1 minute between regular samples.

Now if we could have unrestricted access to the data stream, we could raise sampling way up for the slower

timebases. Perhaps someone with a better understanding of the way the FPGA is programmed could figure out

some “trick” to do this with the present programming, or maybe someone with the proper tools compile a

custom program for it that would provide a way to get continuous data flow without reset.

Will see if I can’t have the window scroll when the sampling reaches the end as a default after reset, and include

this before I post the update. When using XPOS to move the window through the buffer while sampling is active

though, it will be necessary to disable auto scrolling. Maybe auto scrolling can be resumed if the window is brought

back to where sampling is advancing. It would be nice to just be able to enable/disable this, but I’m running out

of possible button combinations to do things, without complicating controls to the point where it’s impossible

to remember (if it hasn’t happened already…).

On compatibility with Gabonator’s program: As it is now, with speed optimizations, there is not enough room for

both programs. You can’t execute code from ROM but I just tried to compile the newest update I will be posting

without speed optimizations, and it will fit (barely) within 3 slots, so this could be used, if loaded in the first slot,

and Gabonator in the 4th as it would not use any undocumented memory. Removing speed optimizations does

slow the program down though, but not too much for most important functions (mostly sweep and noise generator functions). If it still fits in 3 slots after adding these last few functions, will post it along with the regular program.

Have you tried holding button 1 ? Long press brings up the V/div shortcut. You need to hold the button for more than

1 1/2 second, or until the chart appears. There’s no reason why it should not work.

Wildcat,

Not sure what this UART transmit function is for? Is this just for demonstrating the serial decoder or are there other practical uses?

I looked through your source files, but didn’t find a sample UAR file. Not sure how to create one myself. Can you upload a sample or include one with your next update?

Thanks!

It’s used to communicate with hardware. I included it largely because of a fellow who stated he needed

such a function to load some data into custom hardware he designed. The function was easy to program and

didn’t need much code and I thought it could be useful.

The file can be anything that the hardware you are sending it to can understand such as a program image,

binary data or simply text. File name needs to be in a DATAxxx.UAR format so the device can recognize it.

For example, write some text in an editor and save it as a plain text file, then change the filename if necessary.

Baud rate and other parameters need to match the device you are sending it to.

Hello, Wildcat.

I’m a newbie to use the DSO Quad.

Today I flashed the Wildcat V4.3 to my DSO Quad.

Everything works prefect.

But I encountered one problem. After I save a bitmap file and then plugged into my computer,

the bitmap file seems broken. I cannot view the image.

Could you help me to check about this issue?

My DSO QUAD information is

HW V2.81,

SYS V1.62,

App Version WildCat V4.3.

I also have Wildcat V4.3, HW V2.81 and SYS V1.62, but don't have any problems with loading the DSO203's BMP files to view with my Win7 machine.

You might try reformatting your DSO203 virtual drive from your PC.

Thanks. I had read the PDF file before asking. So a text editor can be used to create a UAR file to send ASCII characters. But I’m not sure how to embed send special or extended ASCII characters or hex numbers as bytes? Can I use 0xFF notation with comma separated characters?

You can’t use hex notation, the file has to be in binary form. You can create a binary file with a hex editor,

or convert a hex notation text file to a binary file with a hex to bin converter.

Actually, I had in mind to use a hex text file as source when I first thought this out, but wound up using

bin files instead. Might at some point add the ability to read hex files as input to the generator.

Dear borland:

Thanks for your information. After I re-format the disk in windows 7, now the saved bitmap can be viewed in windows 7, even in linux.

Very appreciated for your information.