DSO203 GCC APP - Community Edition (2.51+SmTech1.8+Fixes)

Wanted to say Thanks. its wonderfull job there.

There is something like a bug and is a kind of mirror behavior in realtime scan with short buffer

Other Small thing is that the Square that tells the size of the buffer (bottom middle) only fills complete if the full screnn is off, when full screen is activated the scan looses almost 4 squares of measurement. Thank you

Triggered by a comment in another post, I figured out that Wildcat needs the standard SYS rather than the modified SYS25116 I had been using on the community edition. I put Sys1.52 on and now the signal generator frequencies match the display.

exactamundo.

Good job folks!

I have two of these and they’re really great. First came with Sys version 1.51 and App version 2.52. The second was bought this year and came with Sys version 1.51 and “App (plus A1) Version 1.00”, of which more later. I have flashed your V1.24 APP_G251.hex, which is much better than the 2.52, with some great features and bug fixes. Note that I’ve left it on SYS 1.51 for now and it seems to work except spectrum analyser. I’d like to try Wildcat’s version for comparison, which is why I left 1.51 sys, but I can’t seem to get it to work: I upload the three .HEX files, appx.hex, then renamed to app_0001.hex, then renamed to APP_0001.HEX, then loaded on with power cycle in-between files, but all I get is the boot screen with the buzzer stuck on. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

You only need to use one of the app hex files. The other two are just compiled for different slots. So I used app1.hex without any renaming and that then goes in the first app slot and is the default when turned on.

The hex files are compiled for specific slots. Renaming them won’t change anything.

Also, using the current (1.24) community version firmware with sys 1.51 will give you wrong output frequencies if you use the built-in generator.

It appears this note on the first page is a bit buggered, long press of button 1 doesn’t seem to do anything. It appears you activate the FFT as a sub feature of channel 4.

[code]- Button 1 (>||)

• Short press: Toggle Run/Hold status
  • Long press: Toggle display of Channel A FFT on/off[/code]

Yes.

Hi 2 all!

I have a bug on this APP.(v 1.24)

I have read the entire topic and found that this bug already reported several months ago.

I tried different FPGA and SYS and found that

-FPGA doesn’t affect on my bug. I’m stay on 2.61 from seed.

-there are strange kilovolts on SYS by microsin (see first screenshot).

-on SYS 1.51 and 1.52 from seed generator was not work propertly (see second screenshot).

Is there any solution?

Hello to everybody!

First of all i’d like to thank for great firmware!

I am using FPGA 2.61 SYS 1.50 1.6 and i have a bug with kilovolts. They appears sometimes after loading *.buf or *dat files, i don’t remember exactly.

And also I have another bug - data in storage disc is corrupting very very often. Usually after holding waveforms i save them in *.buf and *.csv files and when dso is connected to the laptop more then half of them are broken, unable for reading, chkdsk finds a lot of errors. Is it hardware, software problem? Or buggy FAT file system’s fault?

Somewhere i found in description: “…8192 points in 1-channel mode…”. But it is not working. Is it possible to realize? Or maybe just i am doing something wrong?

And again big Thanks for firmware! It is so much better then original one.

The FAT driver in original SYS is known to be buggy.

If you feel like experimenting, install this and then format your filesystem:

https://github.com/PetteriAimonen/AlterBIOS/downloads

That replaces the filesystem driver with elm-chan fatfs. It’s still very experimental, but if it doesn’t work just reinstall SYS to get rid of it. When it works, the boot screen will show “AlterBIOS: Ok” on the top row.

I was wrong about kilovolts: they appear when FFT screen is on and stay until reset. And I found that file system is being corrupted when device is writing CSV files. With Alterbios 0.1 these are my pre-results :

With GCC v1.24 APP the device seems to be working with filesystem correctly now, but there comes other issues - voltage measurements don’t working until i export waveform to any file, and after that kilovolts appear; calibration screen is not working properly and maybe there are another problems, i didn’t continue to test.

With Wildcat’s APP everything is working good on the face of it. I think I’ll stay with this configuration for the present, let’s see how it works.

Thanks!

There’s a bug in the APP that causes corruption of the filesystem when CSV files are saved, even with GCC v1.24. I have already fixed that, and it works fine now. Where can I send the patch so that this fix will be included?

-Erwin

If you like git, you can fork this https://github.com/pmos69/dso203_gcc and submit a pull request.

Otherwise just post the patch on issues tab there.

Hi,

I have downloaded the app (GCC) version 1.24 and successfully installed in my device. But the the long press to (play/pause) button is not showing any FFT. the long press to square button is showing corrupted text in calibration window :roll:.

I have already successfully updated the the latest FPGA and SYS files and the official app is running perfectly. Also the gabonator app is running properly. The reason for looking for non-official UI is that the official UI can not show the low frequency (a few Hz) signal smoothly. It takes a lot of time to fill its buffer and than all of a sudden shows a frame, after 10s of seconds. This problem is there even the gabonator UI and even do not allow me to set time base to 1s.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Hello everybody!

Firstly I would like to thanks every single person that is making possible this application for the DS203.

I got my DSO a couple of days ago and I’m really happy with it :smiley:

This topic is helping me a lot with the configuration!

:?: I think I have found some “errors” and I want to share them and see if anyone has the same problems.

1. If an analog channel (it seems that happens on channel A and B) is moved within the Y position around the 1 division from the bottom of the grid, the DC offset value increases, (after many calibrations with the same results):

[attachment=1]IMAG021_22.PNG[/attachment]

2. The RMS calculations of A and B display different results with the same waveform. I think B channel is wrong:

[attachment=0]IMAG067_68.PNG[/attachment]
By the way, are the RMS values displayed the real RMS? I think so, but I’m not sure (some multimeters in the AC mode only show the “sine RMS” (Vp/sqrt(2)))

I would like to fix this things by myself and then share the corrected files, but I don’t know where to start. Any help on where is the code for this? And after modifying it, how do I update the .HEX file?

:idea: I had some ideas to improve the features of the DSO:

-When single triggering (or pause), being able to zoom at any time range (on time/div greater than 5us doesn’t do anything, and the change on the scale under 5us/div doesn’t seem correct).

-In single trigger mode or “hold”, is there a way to save an entire .bmp not only of what is displaying in the screen, of all the saved wave (or a part)?

Thanks!!!

The A-B function is buggy. The original coder confused + and - signs, thus causing the display for A-B to be in the wrong place - often off the screen, so far that it does not even show up. An open issue was submitted on github. The patch is included here.

diff for the Process.c file:

diff Process.c Process_corrected.c

37c37
< s16 Posi_412, Posi_41, Posi_42, Posi_4_2, Posi_4F1, Posi_4F2, Posi_4F3, Posi_4F4;
---
> s16 Posi_412, Posi_41_2, Posi_41, Posi_42, Posi_4_2, Posi_4F1, Posi_4F2, Posi_4F3, Posi_4F4;
326a327
> Posi_41_2 = _4_posi - _1_posi + _2_posi;
539c540
< Tmp = Posi_412 + Va - Vb;
---
> Tmp = Posi_41_2 + Va - Vb;

Could it be possible to show all the “dots” stored on the whole buffer when running the x-y mode?

I think it only shows the data that would be displayed in the screen.

What is the difference between X_Y_S and X_Y_A?

Thanks!!

Looks like a very nice project!

Noob question here: I’m completely new to ARM, and there seems to be a load of different tool-chains available online.

So which ARM tool-chain should I get, and where can I get it?

This is for Win7 64 bit.

Thanks!

~pz

I’ve always been partial to the CodeSourcery one. Pick the ARM EABI version.