[DSO nano v3] Where did the SD card reader go in V3 ?

That is really unfortunate. Keep in mind how many different companies have produced the Nano, I just got a second one from SainSmart, and they’re still producing v2’s(which I think I prefer for the D-Pad). Just because you got one without a card slot doesn’t change the Nano, it just means you don’t really have a Nano. I can’t make out the part number in the pic, but it looks like a voltage regulator, which I guess is the “new charging circuit” that they talk about. In other V3s though, I don’t think it takes the place of the card reader. Something to look out for, i guess. Also, you should return it and buy from a different store. They definitely screwed the pooch on that one.

The markings on the chip say something like 25PE16 (can’t see too well), along with the ST Microelectronics logo, so I’d say it’s a M25PE16 (16 Mbit, low-voltage, Page-Erasable Serial Flash memory).

Now I’m facing several dilemmas :

• sending it back would cost more than the product itself probably, so it’s not really an option
  • given the empty drive I get when connected to PC, one can assume it works, and I could just solder in a socket
  • last, but not least, how can I save a hard copy of my signals ? BenF firmware keeps telling me there’s no card inserted…

To add to the confusion… there is no answer from Seeed tech support.

@eric25 : I’m not saying it’s a bad product, just that I’m not happy with the one I’ve got; it’s purchased from Seeedstudio, it says “Seeedstudio” on the back; just for reference I’m attaching some screen copies of the bazaar pages and more.

About every image from other vendors show the Nano with the card slot. In fact, could not find one without it.

Wiki links :

05.jpg
04.png
03.png
02.png
01.png

From the pic you posted of the board, it looks like you could add the slot pretty easily, if you can make a little standoff and use some pins to bridge the gaps to the solder pads. The feet on the cardslot might even be long enough to bend them down to the pads.

I think the only way to save waveforms is on the card, so if you manage to solder it in, I’m 99% sure the BenF firmware will find it and stop showing “no card”.

From the placement of the cutout slot in the stock pictures, they may actually use a standoff in the ones with factory-equipped readers, too. It seems like the slot cut in the external casing is about 3-4mm off the board, which would be about right for the flash memory chip being underneath it.

P.S. Just noticed, as an aside, the second picture in the screenshot you attached, the one of all the boxes of Nanos with one box open, is actually a box full of Nano V2s. lol. They aren’t very good with details on the website, as you’ve already noticed.

Looks like the best way to go for now, but I’m somehow concerned that there may be not enough room for the card slot and card, since the placement seems designed so that the card extends to the outer limit of the casing for removal. Since I have no cutout in the casing, the card position would be shifted.

There is also the option of using a hinge type socket, but I have to make sure there’s enough room and the pinout is correct.

Pinout on the hinge type should be fine, I’ve used both, but I’m pretty sure you’ll have to cut a slot in the external housing anyway. For the spring loaded ratchet type, the pic you posted looks to me like the “open” end of the reader slot will hang over the edge of the pcb, giving it the correct position once you cut a slot in the external housing for the actual card insertion. Hard to tell without your Nano and my calipers, but based on the slot housing solder pads, it looks like the microSD card will be positioned just right to click it in and out without needing something to poke it. I’d focus more on clearancing the flash chip underneath it.

By pinout I meant that probably I need to put reversed; in which case, that chip is no longer beneath it, but is it enough room ? I’ll have to see what socket I can get my hands on first.

One more thing, I don’t mind leaving a card inside, so probably the cutout isn’t absolutely necessary.

The question is … will adding a CD socket work ? Still no answer from seeedstudio support.

By looking at the document here seeedstudio.com/wiki/images/ … ematic.pdf)

Its not just yours… I also received my v3 today and it looks identical to your photos… No card slot :frowning:
Let’s see how you get on with support!!! Keep us posted.

If you did not already replaced the firmware with BenF 3.64 (like I did), can you please take a look and tell me what firmware version says it’s on ? Thanks.
Maybe the original firmware can save to that small flash chip …

Still no answer from customer support… They say

and it’s been two days already.

Mine came with V3.22A firmware.

I remember seeing something like V3… when I first fired it up. I’d revert back to it, but I’m unable to find it for download.
Can you try to see if there’s a “save” function that’s active and works ? Thanks.

Ok… I’m still learning about these DSO units…
I think the V3.22A is the Device Firmware Upgrade (DFU) version? Bootloader?
I get the feeling that this is different to the actual firmware version?
Anyway… Wilst I dig Deeper on this just thought to share some more info!!!

On the boot up screen (lasts one second) before starting oscilloscope has the following details: Don’t worry screen film will be removed once I am sure I will keep it :slight_smile:

DSC00428.JPG

When I connect to the PC under oscilloscope function (which I assume is the current available internal memory)

DSO Nano V3.jpg

When I connect in firmware update mode

DFU V3.22A.jpg

What it looks like inside

DSC00429.JPG

Thanks for the info; looks to me that the one thing NOT to do with your Nano is change the firmware.

Now, to sum things up (and still no reply from Seeed tech support) …

• The products shipped as V3 have different specs than information found on the product page or the wiki [list][*]Product page : DSO Nano v3 is a … it’s equipped … SD card … NOT TRUE
  • Product page : Waveform storage: Micro SD card NOT TRUE
  • Wiki : DSO Nano v3 is of hardware v2.6 and firmware app v2.6 NOT TRUE
  • Wiki : What is the main difference between DSO Nano v2 and v3 ? Acutally, both of they are the with same hardware and firmware NOT TRUE
  • Wiki : Waveforms can be saved to an mirco SD card or loaded to the display. You need a micro SD card to do this… NOT TRUE
    [/:m]
    [
    ]Critical information being wrong, or missing alltogether, it’s way too easy to mishandle the Nano V3[/:m][]Everybody says “Upgrade to BenF firmware, it’s better” : DON’T, if you have the V3[/:m][] Where to get that V4.00 firmware ?[/*:m][/list:u]
1 Like

Please see my sticky post about firmware upgrades which tries to explain this a bit. Although it might need some updates in light of this new information.

Since you have opened your Nano, are you also proficient enough to connect a serial UART and suck out the original firmware using for example stm32flash? It would be helpful for others to have this firmware available. One could hope that Seeedstudio could provide this but I would not hold my breath. They seem pretty clueless about what they are selling and are probably as surprised as us as to what is going on. The devices are designed by another company (e-design) but their information (and forum) is only in Chinese: minidso.com/bbs/index.php

It will certainly help me, and possibly others that change the firmware without reading this post, as I did not find anything about the “real” V3 elsewhere.

… and I’m still waiting for a reply from tech support.

Now, to look also at the bright side of things, I’ve already used this small cute little device for my project; I did hit a dead end before getting it, now I’m back on track. The only downside so far (annoying, frustrating, but not blocking) is that I cannot post my findings easily to another forum I’m on (I wanted to post the signals I’m measuring); I know, I can take a photo of the screen, but it certainly isn’t “professional”…

Right… Happy to try and grab the firmware, but might need some help!!!

Do I do this over the mini USB connection? or do I have to connect to the RX,TX connections on the board? I could probably try and solder a pin header onto these 3 and connect to serial adaptor!

DSC00429.JPG

I have already a USB-TTL adaptor - One I hacked togeather from a Nokia CA-42 generic cable.
and one of these: seeedstudio.com/depot/ft2232 … th=175_177

If you can give me a bit of a step by step, then I’ll try and get the firmware for you… and learn some things at the same time :slight_smile: