What, the FourG?!

Yes, whether you have read our latest Kickstarter Update or not, I am telling you:

REPHONE CORE MODULE 4G IS COMING!

Since our researches and investigations have shown that it is only a matter of time that 3G being replaced by the fast-spreading 4G LTE technology, we still decided to skip over 3G and directly go 4G, even though we’ve put a lot of efforts on the 3G module development. We want to bring you what’s the best.

See below, the comparison of 3G and 4G:

We’ve already sketched out the R&D plan of RePhone Core Module 4G, check the followings:

• RePhone Core Module 4G
    Spec:
    • LTE Cat 1
    • FDD bands:2, 4, 17(N.America) ;3, 8, 20(Europe)
    • Maximum Transfer Rate: 10 Mb/s download, 5 Mb/s upload
    • Powerful microcontroller
    • Standard Xadow interface,USB 2.0
    • Compatible with all Xadow modules
    • Nano SIM, button, LED, antenna
    • Voltage:3.3-4.2V

R&D Plan:
• Jan ~ March, 4G module prototype selection, processor solution selection
• April ~ May, RePhone Core Module 4G hardware prototype finished
• June ~ Sept, SW porting, HW&SW optimization, testing, iteration, sourcing & manufacturing
• October, Shipping

We will keep updating the progress of the RePhone 4G module development regularly under this topic, and also, sincerely, we want to invite all of you to join the discussion & iteration of RePhone 4G development in the RePhone Community, to co-create the great wisdom of open R&D and thinking.

This sounds exciting upgrading to 4G. I will be looking forward to your progress in the next few months. Keep up the good work.

Will the 4G module be able to fall-back to 2G or 3G?

Great thanks mate!

We are trying to select a chipset of 4G which is compatible with 2G as well.

Will the cpu be mt2502?

It’s good news! I will insta-buy it. Only 2 questions:

• will it have Bluetooth of any kind
  • will it have a GPS module with external antenna connection?
    I know, the board is already crowded with fancy and useful stuff, but adding one more connector instead of a whole GPS module would save a lot of space on wearables.

CDMA is going to be around for at least another 5 years, and many smaller carriers will be even longer. Sure you want to jump to a LTE only module?

Also, your carrier bands are very narrow. Look at the iPhone supported band list and try to mimic as close as you can for band support. The iPhone is a global carrier device so supporting those listed bands means you are hitting almost all carrier requirements.

One last thing, if you are considering LTE only, that means no voice services or SMS. Rephone would have to be a Voip or IMS/SIP ciient capable otherwise the device is data only. Sms would have to be SMS over IP. This would require a real OS more like Raspberry pi.

Will the 4G LTE also work in Japan?

Just wondering it the 4G LTE will work in Japan?

regards
rob oudendijk

Hello there, I haven’t heard anything more about “the progress of the RePhone 4G module development” or “discussion & iteration of RePhone 4G development” under this topic. Am I looking in the wrong forum topic???

Also how is the progression in R&D Plan ???
• Jan ~ March, 4G module prototype selection, processor solution selection
• April ~ May, RePhone Core Module 4G hardware prototype finished
• June ~ Sept, SW porting, HW&SW optimization, testing, iteration, sourcing & manufacturing
• October, Shipping

Regards

Any news about FourG?

4G simply stands for fourth generation, and it’s called that because it’s the fourth generation of mobile technology, following on from 2G and 3G. 4G is sometimes referred to as LTE (Long Term Evolution) and it’s similar in a lot of ways to 3G, as it allows you to use data to browse the net, play online games, download and stream, and more, but it does so a lot faster than 3G.

LTE stands for Long-term Evolution, and isn’t as much a technology as it is the path followed to achieve 4G speeds. As it stands, most of the time when your phone displays the “4G” symbol in the upper right corner, it doesn’t really mean it. When the ITU-R set the minimum speeds for 4G, they were a bit unreachable, despite the amount of money tech manufacturers put into achieving them. In response, the regulating body decided that LTE, the name given to the technology used in pursuit of those standards, could be labeled as 4G if it provided a substantial improvement over the 3G technology.