A few days ago, the new Ubuntu 20.10 has been released. Codenamed ‘Groovy Gorilla’, it is a short-term release (STR) and will only be supported for 9 months. It’ll include everything from bug fixes to software updates within that timespan.
A few highlights in this update:
- Raspberry Pi Desktop Support
- Linux Kernel 5.8
- GNOME 3.38
- New and sharp wallpapers
- Active Directory support in the installer
- Latest versions of top open-source software
Raspberry Pi Desktop Support
In the Ubuntu 20.10 update, Raspberry Pi models with 4GB or 8GB RAM can finally run the Ubuntu 20.10 desktop!
To celebrate this occasion, Ubuntu even has a custom wallpaper for Raspberry Pi:
This is what the CEO of Raspberry Pi, Eben Upton has to say with regards to this update:
“From the classic Raspberry Pi board to the industrial grade Compute Module, this first step to an Ubuntu LTS on Raspberry Pi with long term support and security updates matches our commitment to widen access to the very best computing and open source capabilities.”
Linus has teased about the new Linux 5.8 back in August, here are the new features and changes:
- Intel Atom camera driver
- Ability to swap
ctrlkeys on Apple keyboards
- Thunderbolt ARM (i.e. USB 4.0) support
- New AMD energy driver for Zen/Zen2 energy sensors
- More exFAT driver improvements
- AMD Renoir CPU temperature monitoring
- Shadow Call Stack and Branch Target Identification for ARM64
- AMD Renoir ACP audio support
- Open Source Adreno 405 / 640 / 650 GPU support
- AMDGPU Trusted Memory Zone Support
- Boost support in the CPPC CPUFreq driver
- Kernel Concurrency Sanitizer
- On top of the software updates, you can now manually rearrange icons, drag n drop them in the Applications grid to put apps exactly where you want them!
- The bug of the blurry background has been fixed as well, so it should be sharp now, with the addition of some new wallpapers.
- Fingerprint logins are also supported now as well.
- The latest versions of top open-source software include Thunderbird 73 and LibreOffice 7.0.2, which provides a fresh new icon look.