As a robot software platform, Robot Operating System(ROS) helps power the world’s robot by providing services designed for a heterogeneous computer cluster. ROS currently has been used by research institutes, companies, and enthusiasts
As a modular autonomous positioning navigation system, SLAMWARE has built-in SLAM core algorithm and plays an important role in robot autonomous walking and positioning navigation.
Traditionally, SLAMWARE has adopted an independent software architecture system, which seems to be separated from ROS by a layer of elements. However, the combination of the two will inevitably make the robot’s self-positioning navigation effect better. But how to combine them?
In the last article, we talked about the SLAMWARE SDK. The SLAMWARE SDK not only accelerates the pace of robots’ smart walking but also breaks down barriers between SLAMWARE and some platforms, such as ROS.
Yes, today we are excited to share the news from SLAMTEC: the SLAMWARE ROS SDK is officially released!
For the detail of SLAMTEC, RPLIDAR, MAPPER, and SLAMWARE, please refer to our previous introduction: All you need to know about Slamtec RPLIDAR, MAPPER and Slamware.
What is SLAMWARE ROS SDK?
The SLAMWARE ROS SDK enables developers/users to directly develop and integrate SLAMTEC robots based on the SDK in ROS, call and customize the service package of the corresponding navigation and positioning system to realize the corresponding robot functions.
What are the benefits of using the SLAMWARE ROS SDK?
The SLAMWARE ROS SDK is the best way to help you solve the following problems
- If you want to use the mapping, positioning and navigation functions provided by SLAMWARE in the robot, but you want to retain the application logic originally developed based on ROS.
- If you want to replace some of the features in the machine being developed with ROS with the equivalent of SLAMWARE.
- If you want to replace some of the features in SLAMWARE with components developed by yourself through ROS.
- If you want to dock Apollo, Zeus and other robot platforms with the original ROS system
What devices does the SLAMWARE ROS SDK support?
The SLAMWARE ROS SDK supports the full range of robot product development, including SLAMWARE-based robotics, navigation products, Mapper, Cube series and more.
What features does the SLAMWARE ROS SDK support?
- Post maps and location information
- Robot pose and status information, receiving control commands
- Robot positioning navigation
- Virtual wall and virtual track
- More features of SLAMWARE
What Topics will the SLAMWARE ROS SDK release?
With the SLAMWARE ROS SDK, you can directly get the most common Topics for ROS for robotic mobile development, such as:
- Map data (nav_msgs/OccupancyGrid)
- Robot pose (nav_msgs/Odometry)
- Current lidar data (sensor_msgs/LaserScan)
- Related sensor data
- Map synchronization
For downloading and more details, please visit Slamware ROS SDK Document
What development environments does the SLAMWARE ROS SDK support?
Based on Ubuntu 16.04 operating system, Linux-X86_64.
In the next section, we will show you the development of robot navigation and positioning with the SLAMWARE ROS SDK, please stay tuned 🙂