As consumers worldwide become more health-conscious and demonstrate the value of consuming fresh, healthy, and diverse, food and beverage companies pay more attention to securing their global product chains by applying the food traceability system for strict and intelligent management of products in order to gain customer trust. Here we provide a typical use case of how Seeed SenseCAP LoRaWAN sires of wireless sensors and gateways play a role in assisting the food supply chain management in Baoneng Cold Storage Warehouse monitoring the main environmental parameters. The cold storage warehouse located in Shenzhen, China.
Food traceability is able to follow the storage, transportation, and movement of food products and their ingredients through all parts of its international supply chain. It is crucial to document the processing and distribution of commodities to reduce possible risks to customers’ health. Especially during the COVID-19 pandemic, cold chain transportation is a potential path of transmission of the virus. Without a clear mind of where the source of the virus comes from could lift up difficulties in efficiently prevent the wide-spreading of the virus. Efficient food traceability helps companies, governments, and institutions rapidly determine the source of the product and where contamination might happen. And environmental data coming from the location where food and beverage are placed gives valuable evidence of the condition of products.
Therefore, sensors are necessities for monitoring the environmental conditions of where food products are located. By providing precise parameters, sensors help storage managers make accurate estimation and prediction on products’ quality and remove the problematic commodities from the marketplace once something goes wrong.
Seeed works with Baoneng on a “food tracking” project in its storage warehouse to ensure the surrounding environment is suitable for storing products. This project secures the products in the agriculture, food, and health industry with commodity tracking technology, Seeed environmental monitoring end nodes, and the construction of an application system. To provide the optimized environment and best condition for food commodities (i.e., salmon) in its cold storage warehouse, Baoneng applies Seeed environmental monitoring solution in this project.
Industrial IoT devices deployed in Baoneng cold storage warehouse include:
- SenseCAP Wireless CO2 Sensor – LoRaWAN
- SenseCAP Wireless Barometric Pressure Sensor – LoRaWAN
- SenseCAP Wireless Air Temperature and Humidity Sensor – LoRaWAN
- SenseCAP Gateway – LoRaWAN
In 2022, we released a brand new series of SenseCAP LoRaWAN environmental sensors, that is, SenseCAP S210x series. SenseCAP S210x series is also designed for wireless long-distance environmental sensing applications. Remaining robust and durable, SenseCAP S210x series has built-in Bluetooth to offer smooth and super easy user experiences like OTA configuration and remote device management to keep maintenance cost as low as possible.
Note: We have updated the link to the latest sensors we provide in S210x series. We provide a 3-in-1 C02, temperature and humidity sensor to make deployment lightweight and cost-effective.
The IoT solution is equipped to perform the following functions:
1. SenseCAP collects the parameters of air temperature and humidity, CO2, and Barometric Pressure and wirelessly transfer data to the center gateway, which assists the factory manager to remotely control the parameters of the factory.
2. As data transmitted to the cloud from gateway and sensors, managers only have to review and examine the environmental condition with the use of the computer, rather than rambling around the storage warehouse with considerable size and severe conditions. This helps reduce troublesome, lower the cost significantly and improve the efficiency of management.
3. SenseCAP supports LoRaWAN technology, which ensures wireless sensors deployed in the warehouse to work over long distances and with low power consumption while robust enough to stand in severe conditions for years.
4. Only one gateway deployed is needed to connect with hundreds of sensors deployed in multiple warehouses, and the actual transmission distance is up to 2 km with obstacles. Managers can obtain data from SenseCAP LoRaWAN sensors every 5 mins. And the battery of SenseCAP has a comparatively long lifespan: the average lifespan of LoRaWAN sensors varies from 3 to 8 years.
SenseCAP is a series of industrial IoT products. Its LoRaWAN version is based on LoRaWAN protocol and deployable worldwide with multiple ISM bands. SenseCAP is encapsulated in an IP66 enclosure, making it applicable in outdoor remote sensing scenarios such as Smart Farming, Smart City, and other IoT applications that need low-power, long-distance, and long-term data collection. SenseCAP will be available for purchase soon. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment here, email us ([email protected]), or join the discussion at Seeed Forum.
Here’s the newest video of the SenseCAP S210x Series unboxing and shows how to deploy in your area
About SenseCAP S210x Series:
With the IP66 rating, -40 ~ +85C ° operating temperature, and built-in 19Ah high-capacity battery, combined with the device’s low power consumption, the S210X series can operate in harsh outdoor environments for up to 10 years with a range of up to 10km. The built-in Bluetooth facilitates setup and greatly reduces large-scale deployment costs. Users can focus on application development with the easy set-up, and start retrieving data in a few steps. Just install the device, bind it using the QR code and configure the network, then data can be viewed from the SenseCAP portal, which supports popular IoT protocols such as HTTP and MQTT.
Updates June 2022: SenseCAP S210x sensors are currently available for purchase. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment here, email us ([email protected]), or join the discussion on Discord.
Other Use Cases to check：
- Smart Poultry Farming
- Smart Durian Farming in Malaysia
- Global Sustainable Agriculture Education Programs
- Smart High-Mountain Tea Plantation
- Sweet Melon Greenhouse
- Outdoor Triticale Farm
- Growing Tropical Fruits in the North
- Data-driven Tourism in Hakka Villages
- Environmental Monitoring Project in Stockholm
- AiCU, Seeed Partner, Won the 2nd Place at the Autonomous Greenhouse Challenge 2019-2020