What is RF Explorer Spectrum Analyzer?
RF Explorer is an affordable Handheld Spectrum Analyzer designed from scratch to be a sort of Swiss Army Knife for the specific needs of digital radio frequency communication.
Commercial high-end spectrum analyzers are traditionally expensive and bulky, in the order of many thousand dollars, and you need significant expertise to master them. RF Explorer offers 90% of what a high-cost unit will do for RF digital band communication, at 5% of the cost. Additionally, it can be carried on easily anywhere, used outdoors efficiently for hours with a single battery charge.
RF Explorer Spectrum Analyzers and Signal Generators provide unique capabilities including signal detection and hunting, interference and collision assistance, pre-compliance EMC testing and many other use cases.
The RF Explorer Standard models include 7 functional buttons in the front side. The unit also includes at least one RF connector 50-ohm impedance standard SMA format.
All models have a SMA left connector installed and, optionally, some models have a second SMA connector at the right position for extended range and functionality.
The unit will automatically start running on USB power when a compatible mini-USB cable is connected
- Pocket size and lightweight with solid aluminum metal case.
- The Spectrum Analyzer calculator includes Peak Max, Max Hold, Normal, Overwrite and Averaging modes.
- Lifetime free firmware upgrades available.
- Open to new features requested by user community.
- High capacity Lithium Ion battery up to 16hs of continuous run, rechargeable by USB.
- Microsoft Windows software is free and Open Source.
- Mac OS client is free and Open Source.
- USB Communication protocol is open for custom solutions and extensions.
- Different RF Explorer models available:
- General-purpose high-frequency model: 15-2700 and 4850-6100MHz
- General-purpose wideband model: 15 – 2700MHz
- Wideband UHF – ISM models: 50Khz – 960MHz and 2350 – 2550MHz
- Narrowband ISM models: 2.4GHz, 433MHz, 868MHz or 915MHz band
- Expandable: RF Explorer base model unit can be easily expanded to additional bands using the internal expansion port.
- Some models include an Integrated RF Signal Generator.
- For more details on different models and capabilities available, please check specific products family
New Family Members!
Added on June 4th 2020: RF Explorer 4G Combo PLUS – Slim
RF Explorer 4G COMBO+ is a powerful Spectrum Analyzer, covering the full range starting at 50KHz up to 4GHz with no gaps or limitations. A future firmware license feature will allow it to expand the range up to 5.1GHz.
Added on June 4th 2020: RF Explorer 6G Combo PLUS – Slim
RF Explorer 6G COMBO+ is the most powerful Spectrum Analyzer model, covering the full 6GHz range starting at 50KHz up to 6.1GHz with no gaps or limitations.
RF Explorer WSUB1G features with wideband coverage to all popular sub-1Ghz ISM bands, including 315MHz, 433MHz, 868MHzand • 915MHz, also including UHF TV, 70cm and 33cm HAM radio, GSM, etc. Any frequency from 240MHz to 960MHz is covered.
RF Explorer WSUB1G+ is a powerful, high-performance digital spectrum analyzer covering the 1GHz frequency range starting at 50KHz.
It is a very affordable solution replacing base model WSUB1G with additional features, capabilities and frequency coverage.
RF Explorer 3G Combo is a handheld digital spectrum analyzer, a very affordable tool for work in all popular frequency bands. It is based on a highly integrated frequency synthesizer and double balanced mixer which offers high performance, compact size, low consumption and low cost.
RF Explorer 3G Combo includes a WSUB1G baseline unit plus an RFEMWSUB3G Expansion Module conveniently assembled and tested. It comes with two SMA connectors and two antennas: a nice Nagoya NA-773 wideband telescopic antenna for all Sub-GHz frequencies and a whip helical for 2.4GHz band. Additional, specific band antennas may be needed to cover efficiently some of the frequencies supported.
The combination of these two models offers coverage for most used communication frequency range used in modern communication technologies including WiFi, Bluetooth, Wireless Audio and Video, LTE, GSM, GPRS, Satellite, CATV, DTV, etc.
RF Explorer 6G Combo includes a 6G baseline standard unit. It comes with one SMA connectors and a rubber duck 5.8 GHz antenna, good for 5.2-6.0GHz scanning. Additional, specific band antennas may be needed to cover efficiently some of the frequencies supported.
RF Explorer 3G Combo can be extended with internal Expansion Modules for additional band and functionality, and easily convert it to a 6G Combo or WiFi Combo more capable models.
RF Explorer WiFi Combo is a handheld digital spectrum analyzer, a very affordable tool for work in all popular frequency bands. It is based on a highly integrated frequency synthesizer and double balanced mixer which offers high performance, compact size, low consumption and low cost.
It has been designed to be used equally well outdoor and indoor, and can be connected to a PC for extra functionality using standard mini-USB 2.0 connector.
RF Explorer ISM Combo includes a WSUB1G baseline unit plus an RFEM2.4G Expansion Module conveniently assembled and tested. It comes with two SMA connectors and two antennas, a nice dual-band telescopic 144/430MHz wideband antenna for Sub-GHz frequencies and a whip helical for 2.4GHz band.
RF Explorer Signal Generators
RF Explorer Signal Generator tool is currently available in two models:
- RF Explorer Signal Generator baseline – 23.4MHz – 6000MHz
- RF Explorer Signal Generator Combo – 100KHz – 6000MHz
Both models can be used standalone, as well as connected to a computer for easy operation.
Computer control can be achieved by any of these free software options:
- RF Explorer Signal Generator Tool: It works on Windows, MacOS and Linux offering a simple yet powerful interface for CW operation.
- RF Explorer for Windows: It is supported in Windows only, and support all kind of advanced operation including CW, Sweep, and Tracking SNA.
- Programming interface: You can deliver custom solutions by using Python or .NET libraries, as well as direct USB interface, calls through any major language.
Comparision – RF Explorer Model map
This is a model map based on frequency coverage that can help you select the right RF Explorer model for your needs.
Useful examples, introduction videos, and demonstrations for RF Explorer products.
You can see how easy is to get this powerful device in action in just a few minutes. Click here to discover more.