As one of the biggest real estate developers in China, Vanke has also joined the program of “10,000 enterprises assisting 10,000 villages” in the country’s effort to alleviate poverty. One of the projects Vanke has been leading is located at Xiankeng village in Heyuan City, Guangdong Province, Southern China.
Xiankeng is a village with rich roots in Hakka culture, together with some farming activities such as growing rice and tea. After many discussions on different methods for improving the villagers’ income, with the input from villagers, institutes, local governments, and enterprises, the final answer for alleviating poverty in Xiankeng was the vitalization of its tourism. To this end, in addition to renovating Hakka architecture in the village that would attract tourists interested in Hakka culture, Vanke considered using IoT technology to create further values for Xiankeng.
With hundreds of thousands of tourist destinations in China, how to make Xiankeng appealing to the public remains a difficult question. Vanke’s proposal was to use IoT sensors to collect data to prove that Xiankeng’s weather and environment are amiable for tourists in all of the seasons. The IoT technology would also further benefit the local farmers, who could use the data to validate the good quality of their rice and tea, thus creating added value and brand recognition among customers.
Seeed gladly accepted Vanke’s invitation to join this partnership by deploying the SenseCAP wireless sensor network solution, to empower the tourism industry in Xiankeng village. With constant communication between Seeed and Vanke, together with several site visits to Xiankeng to talk with local residents, we came up with the following solution: deploying a weather station in the rice field and an environmental monitoring system in the tea plantation.
The following parameters are collected through two sets of devices at the weather station in the rice field and the environmental monitoring system in the tea plantation.
- Barometric pressure
- Air Temperature
- Air Humidity
- Light Intensity
- Wind Speed
- Wind Direction
- Rain Volume
- Soil Temperature
- Soil Moisture
With the data collected, integrated, and shown on a webpage as well as a mini-program on the WeChat platform, the local villagers can receive useful information to support their activities in managing the rice field and tea plantation. With input from farming experts, alarms are set for different parameters. When the data shows an abnormality, the owners receive notifications and can take immediate action.
Meanwhile, the real-time and historical environmental data are accessible by the local tourism agencies and stakeholders for promoting Xiankeng tourism. For different seasons, they can promote different tourist activities with the support of various weather indicators.
These SenseCAP products are deployed in Xiankeng to gather the above-mentioned data.
- SenseCAP LoRaWAN Gateway
- SenseCAP Wireless Barometric Pressure Sensor – LoRaWAN
- SenseCAP Wireless Air Temperature & Humidity Sensor – LoRaWAN
- SenseCAP Wireless Light Intensity Sensor – LoRaWAN
- SenseCAP Wireless CO2 Sensor – LoRaWAN
- SenseCAP Wireless Soil Moisture & Temperature Sensor – LoRaWAN
- SenseCAP Wireless Wind Speed Sensor – LoRaWAN
- SenseCAP Wireless Wind Direction Sensor – LoRaWAN
- SenseCAP Wireless Rain Gauge – LoRaWAN
Currently, Xiankeng is recognized as a demonstration base for villages that seek to employ technologies in rural revitalization efforts.
This project also contributes to the following Sustainable Development Goals.
- Xiankeng Village
What is SenseCAP?
SenseCAP is a series of industrial IoT products. Its LoRaWAN version is based on LoRaWAN protocol and deployable worldwide with multiple ISM bands. SenseCAP is encapsulated in an IP66 enclosure, making it applicable in outdoor remote sensing scenarios such as Smart Farming, Smart City, and other IoT applications that need low-power, long-distance, and long-term data collection.
Updates May 2020: SenseCAP LoRaWAN sensors and gateways are currently available for purchase. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment here, email us (iot[at]seeed[dot].cc), or join the discussion at Seeed Forum.
Other User Cases
- SenseCAP Deployed in Outdoor Triticale Farm, Empowering Precision Agriculture in Dingzhou, Hebei Province, Northern China
- Smart Agriculture Demonstration Park of Sweet Melons Empowered by SenseCAP in Beihai Guangxi, Southern China
- SenseCAP Monitoring Environmental Data in Smart Greenhouses Growing Tropical Fruits in Shandong, Northern China.
- Smart Tea Plantation in Mengding Mountain to Monitor Key Environmental Data with SenseCAP for Increasing Efficiency and Customer Trust
- SenseCAP Deployed in Environmental Monitoring Projects in Stockholm, Sweden
- SenseCAP Selected as Smart Agriculture Innovation of the Year
- SenseCAP among the First Products Certified by Microsoft Plug & Play (PnP)
- Learn more about SenseCAP
- SenseCAP API Introduction