Wio Terminal is an ATSAMD51-based microcontroller with wireless connectivity supported by Realtek RTL8720DN. Instead of being a single embedded functional module, Wio Terminal is more of a complete system equipped with Screen + Development Board + Input/Output Interface + Enclosure, making it an efficient and Product-Ready Product.
What cool things can you play with Wio Terminal?
- Artificial Nose that can Discern Different Kinds of Rum or ScotchTV
- Remote Controller
- Cost-effective Pulse Oximeter
- Weather Forecast Monitor
- Run TinyGO on Wio Terminal
- Retro Gaming
- GPS Navigator
- Water Level Detector
- Machine Learning on Wio Terminal
And there are more possibilities on the way!
We have posted a series of weekly summaries covering various tutorials, software/hardware updates, reviews, and projects from the community. To help you find your needed information in a more convenient way, we have gathered all useful links together in this blog and will keep updating weekly. Feel free to let us know what you want to learn more and leave a comment!
Also, don’t forget to join our official FB user group and share your ideas, projects, questions, and everything about Wio Terminal!
The content of this blog will cover:
- 1. Documentations
- 1.1 Getting Started
- 1.2 Demos & Sample Code
- 1.3 Tutorials (Oct 15th, 2020 Updated)
- 1.4 Helpful Resources
- 1.5 Wio Terminal Classroom on Udemy
- 2. Software & Hardware Updates (Oct 15th, 2020 Updated)
- 3. Reviews from Community
- 3.1 Review from MakeUseOf
- 3.2 Review from BnBe Club
- 3.3 Reviews from CYBER ARMS
- 3.4 Reviews by Mat Zolnierczyk
- 4. Community Projects Collection
- 5. Wio Terminal Classroom
- 5.1 Hello World!
- 5.2 Drawing Shapes on LCD
- 5.3 Displaying Fonts
- 5.4 Displaying Images and Simple UI
- 5.5 Line Charts and Histograms
- 5.6 Using Grove Modules Part 1
- 5.7 Communication Protocols
- 5.8 Built-In Hardware/Sensors Part 1
- 5.9 Built-In Hardware/ Sensors Part 2 | Microphone & Buzzer
- 5.10 Built-In Hardware/ Sensors Part 3 | Accelerometer & Light Sensor
- 5.11 Build a TV Remote using the built-in IR Emitter
- 5.12 Smart Garden Project using Wio Terminal
- 5.13 Use Wio Terminal as a Mouse for PC
- 5.14 Use Wio Terminal as a Keyboard for PC
- 6. Wio Terminal Classroom with Ardupy
- 6.1 Getting Started with Ardupy
- 6.2 Fun with LCD
- 6.3 Decibel Meter using built-in Microphone
- 6.4 Musical Keyboard using built-in Buzzer
- 6.5 AIP Usage & Ardupy Libraries(Oct 15th, 2020 Updated)
- 7. Fully Open Source Manufacturing Process
1.1. Getting Started
- User Manual (EN/JP/DE)
- Get started with Wio Terminal (EN)
- Get started with Wio Terminal (JP)
- Get started with ArduPy using Visual Studio Code IDE
- Using PlatformIO to develop Wio Terminal
1.2. Demos & Sample Code
- Build An Affordable IR Thermal Imaging Camera
- Arduino TFT LCD Screen Tutorial using Wio Terminal Equipped with 2.4 TFT LCD
- Integrate with Raspberry Pi and Display System Data on LCD Screen
- How to Connect Wio Terminal to Wi-Fi and Obtain Data from the Internet
- Play with Grove – Ultrasonic Ranger
- play with Wio Terminal & Grove – TF Mini LiDAR – The game of “Statues”
- Wio Terminal Initial Firmware (Retro Gaming)
- Grove Analog Microphone displaying on Wio Terminal
- June 11th, 2020 Updated: Play Grove – Thermal Imaging Camera IR Array MLX90641 with Wio Terminal
- June 18th, 2020 Updated: Piechart and Meters Reading using Wio Terminal and Ardupy
- July 2, 2020 Updated: Is that possible to connect a display with RaspberryPi via USB? We made it with WioTerminal!
- July 30, 2020: pycalculator by CircuitPython on Wio Terminal: Handle the Input and Calculations with Joystick
- August 20th, 2020 Updated: Playing Snakes on Seeed Wio Terminal
- August 27th, 2020 Updated: Smart Home – Automatic Bathroom A/C Controller
- Oct 15th, 2020 Updated: Make a Contactless Temperature Monitor by wio terminal
- Oct 15th, 2020 Updated: Biofloc Monitoring System powered by Wio Terminal
- June 11th, 2020: How to use FreeRTOS to Multi-tasking in Arduino, use Wio Terminal as an example
- June 11th, 2020: How to Use Static (Pre-compiled) Libraries in Arduino, use Wio Terminal as an example
- June 18th, 2020: How to Debug Wio Terminal using SWD Interface
- June 18th, 2020: Use Wio Terminal as an example to walk through how to bridge Mosquitto MQTT Broker to AWS IoT
- July 9, 2020: How to Use Wio Terminal as RTL8720DN Dev Board
- July 16, 2020: Build an HMI Display for Raspberry Pi using Wio Terminal
- July 30, 2020: How to use LvGL Graphics Library for Wio Terminal
- August 5th, 2020: Build an HMI Display for Windows/ MacOS using Wio Terminal
- August 5th, 2020: How to use MQTT over TLS on the Wio Terminal by Benjamin Cabé
- August 7th, 2020: Connecting the Wio Terminal to Azure IoT By Benjamin Cabé
- Aug, 18 2020 Updated: Simple sprite routines for the Wio Terminal, describes four routines designed to make it easy to write games in C that use sprites on the Seeed Studio Wio Terminal. They allow you to plot erasable sprites, check sprites for collision, and move sprites on the screen while avoiding flicker.
1.4. Helpful Resources
- [PDF] ATSAMD51N19A Datasheet
- [PDF] Wio Terminal Schematics v1.2
- [AI] Wio-Terminal-chan-Design-File-blue&white
- [DXF] Wio Terminal Enclosure Dimensions – Front
- [DXF] Wio Terminal Enclosure Dimensions – Back
- [DXF] Wio Terminal PCB Dimensions
You can now Learn about Arduino programming along with hardware basics with Wio Terminal on Udemy! Start Now!
2. Software & Hardware Updates
- Apr 22, 2020 Updated: New Factory Firmware to Speed Up the Testing Process, Built-in Magnet and Mounting Hole for Easy Project Setup
- May 8, 2020 Updated: Updates for TinyUSB & Ardupy Aip
- July 2, 2020 Updated: Wio Terminal is officially supported by CircuitPython!
- July 9, 2020 Updated: How to install and run the official CircuitPython on Wio Terminal
- July 9, 2020 Updated: Now you can update the latest firmware for the Wireless Core Realtek RTL8720 on Wio Terminal on macOS and Linux!
- July 30, 2020 Updated: Wio Terminal is officially supported by Edge Impulse now!
- Aug 5th, 2020 Updated: Wio Terminal WiFi software updated, we have fixed over 10 bugs, thanks to @SeeedJP
- Sep 10th, 2020 Updated: Audio Library For Wio Terminal using ReSpeaker 2-Mic Hat
- Sep 17th, 2020 Updated: Ethernet Connection for Wio Terminal
- Sep 27th, 2020 Updated: Using a smartphone as a client to connect to Wio Terminal
- Oct 15th, 2020 Updated: Latest Bluetooth firmware update
- Oct 15th, 2020 Updated: How to use the Wio Terminal with the Blynk software to interact with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
3. Reviews from Community
3.1 Review from MakeUseOf: Why I’m Never Buying an Arduino Again: The Wio Terminal
3.2 Review from BnBe Club: Is The Wio Terminal Any Good? Getting Started + Bug Workaround
3.3 Reviews from CYBER ARMS – Computer Security – WIO Terminal: Powerful All-in-One Arduino (June 11th, 2020 Updated)
3.4 Awesome time with Wio Terminal (Aug 5th, 2020 Updated)
We have made a collection of Wio Terminal projects from the community. Check this post and we hope some of them will inspire you! We have 5 projects updated this week!
September 27th, 2020 Updated: Hack Your Car With Wio Terminal and CAN Bus by Longan Labs
Read the cycling speed, rotation speed and oil temperature, and other information, displayed on the Wio Terminal screen. （Author：Longan Labs）
There are also some detailed tutorials (ref: @H0meMadeGarbage):
- Three Entry-level Demos Help You Get Started with Wio Terminal Quickly: Adjust the Brightness of the LCD Using the Light Sensor, Play a Melody Using Buttons & Switch, and Make a TV Remote Controller with the IR Emitter
- How to Build a Cost-effective Pulse Oximeter with Wio Terminal and MAX30105 Sensor
- How to Input data to Wio Terminal from a Keyboard Using USB Host Function, and Tips about How to Use the 40-Pin Header for Power Supply and USB Serial
5. Wio Terminal Classroom
Welcome to our brand new video tutorial show: Wio Terminal Classroom! In this show, our engineer Lakshantha will explain how to use Wio terminal along with the software and present you fun demos as well! So stay tuned with our show and we hope this helps you to gain more knowledge on how to program with the Wio Terminal!
Wio Terminal Classroom #1 | Hello World!
In this episode, you will learn about how to draw text strings by using the coordinate system and will learn to display “Hello World!” at the end of the video! We hope you enjoy it!
Wio Terminal Classroom #2 | Drawing Shapes on LCD
In this second episode, you will learn about how to draw simple shapes on the Wio Terminal LCD Screen and you will be able to draw an image at the end of the video by using the shapes that you learn!
Wio Terminal Classroom #3 | Displaying Fonts
In this third episode, you will learn about how to add different font styles to your text and display on the Wio Terminal LCD Screen!
Wio Terminal Classroom #4 | Displaying Images and Simple UI
In this fourth episode, you will learn how to display images on the LCD screen of the Wio Terminal. Also, we will revise what we have learnt so far in this series and you will be able to display a simple UI using text with different fonts, shapes and images! Enjoy!
Wio Terminal Classroom #5 | Line Charts and Histograms
In this fifth episode, you will learn how to display Line Charts and Histograms on the LCD screen of the Wio Terminal. Also, we will show you how to use TFT LCD API examples to display on the Wio Terminal.
Wio Terminal Classroom #6 | Using Grove Modules Part 1
In this sixth episode, you will learn how to use the 40-pin GPIO header on the Wio Terminal and the 2 Grove ports to interact with Grove sensors.
Wio Terminal Classroom #7 | Communication Protocols
In this seventh episode, you will learn how to use different communication protocols on the Wio Terminal. Also at the end of the video, you will be able to log in to your Raspberry Pi using the Wio Terminal!
Wio Terminal Classroom #8 | Built-In Hardware/Sensors Part 1
In this eighth episode, you will learn how to use the 3 configurable buttons, 5-way switch, and the IR Emitter on the Wio Terminal! Enjoy!
Wio Terminal Classroom #9 | Built-In Hardware/ Sensors Part 2 | Microphone & Buzzer
In this ninth episode, you will learn how to use the built-in microphone and the buzzer on the Wio Terminal.
Wio Terminal Classroom #10 | Built-In Hardware/ Sensors Part 3 | Accelerometer & Light Sensor
In this tenth episode, you will learn how to use the built-in accelerometer and the light sensor on the Wio Terminal.
Wio Terminal Classroom #11 | Build a TV Remote using the built-in IR Emitter
In this 11th episode, you will learn how to use the built-in infrared emitter on the Wio Terminal and build a simple TV remote for your TV.
Wio Terminal Classroom #12 | Smart Garden Project using Wio Terminal
In this 12th episode, you will learn how to build a smart garden project using the Grove – Temperature and Humidity Sensor (DHT11), Soil Moisture Sensor, Built-in Buzzer and the Light Sensor on the Wio Terminal!
Wio Terminal Classroom #13 | Use Wio Terminal as a Mouse for PC
In this 13th episode, you will learn how to use the Wio Terminal as a mouse and use it to interact with your PC!
Wio Terminal Classroom #14 | Use Wio Terminal as a Keyboard for PC
In this 14th and the final episode, you will learn how to use the Wio Terminal as a keyboard and use it to interact with your PC!
6. Wio Terminal Classroom with Ardupy
ArduPy is a combination of Arduino and MicroPython. MicroPython uses the universal Arduino API to control the hardware so that it can be quickly compatible with new platforms. At the same time, we provide AIP package manager. You can transform your favorite Arduino library into a MicroPython library. Through ArduPy, you can use Python to verify ideas quickly, learn python programming, and learn Open-Source hardware.
7. Fully Open Source Manufacturing Process
As a fully open-source device, Wio Terminal development will continue to optimize its performance. We are making a series of Vlog about the fully open-source manufacturing process of Wio Terminal, from hardware and software development, to each step of manufacture and testing, you can find all you want to know about Wio Terminal, check now!
Learn more at our Youtube channel:
- VLOG #1 — Open source manufacturing | injection molding of Wio Terminal
- VLOG #2 — Open source manufacturing | inside an NPI (new product introduction) meeting room
- VLOG #3 — Open source manufacturing – First batch of Wio Terminal!
We will keep updating more helpful links here, don’ t miss out! If you have any questions, feel free to join the discussion at our forum. Stayed tuned with us and look forward to your participation!